Cisco 9800 with a 2,4Ghz channel plan on 1, 5, 6, 9, 11 and 13?

THE ISSUE


Yes, 5Ghz, 6Ghz, even MLO in the coming Wi-Fi 7 using those bands and 2.4Ghz, but, there are still 2.4Ghz only  capable clients...

During a routine check, I observed that a client was associated on channel 5 on 2.4Ghz. The AP was managed through one of the 9800 WLCs deployed for the management of small or medium-sized offices with APs in Flexconnect.


Of course, I checked the site´s RF Profile, and surprisingly, it had the following channel plan:


After reviewing the 2.4Ghz RF Profiles of each of the locations managed by that 9800, I could see that absolutely all of the locations had that channel plan, even in the predefined profiles!!



After eliminating channels 5, 9 and 13 from all the created profiles and the predefined ones -yes, they can be modified even if the UI shows the following error-


I tried to find the cause of this incident. Initially, after seeing that this issue also occurred in a WLC in version 17.3.5 (the others were in version 17.9.4c or 17.9.5), I thought that perhaps in some Cisco release, those channels were added by mistake and after the upgrades performed on the WLCs, those channels persisted, so I decided to deploy 4 9800-CLs in my home lab, 16.12, 17.3, 17.6 and 17.9 to find on which of the WLC versions that issue appeared first:






No, they all seemed correct, but precisely that command gave me the key. The command "sho ap dot11 24ghz rf-profile" does not allow you to select a specific profile (or at least I don´t know how)


And issuing a "show running config | sec rf-profile" you can't see the enabled channels either:


But, with the command "show wireless country channels" I could see the pattern:


In controllers where several countries are deployed, and they have a country with a 4 channel plan (1, 5, 9, 13, which could be used in Europe) mixed with countries with a 3 channel plan (1, 6, 11), even if they belong to the same regulatory domain, the RF-profiles had channels 1, 5, 6, 9, 11 and 13.... all at the same time.


Cisco has the following bug published, but, as per the date this post, it is not properly defined, nor describes the actual scope and potential impact :

https://bst.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCwf04193


REPLICATING THE ISSUE


So, in my home lab, where I know my 2.4Ghz channels are correct, I added a secondary country that I already verified on other controllers was using a 4 channel plan with 1, 5, 9 and 13:


So in the CLI looks the same as on the affected WLCs, what would have happened to my RF Profile?


Yes, all the 2.4Ghz RF-Profiles are now messed up. 


I haven´t saved the config yet, so if I want to compare the running config with the saved one (sho arc conf dif nvram:startup-config system:running-config)


It won´t show that the channel plan is now messed up, nor the UI´s config comparison will:



So, now you know, if you still have 2.4Ghz clients, be careful when adding countries to your Cisco 9800 wireless controller!


UPDATE 04/Jul/2024



I upgraded my 9800-CL from 17.9.5 to 17.12.3, obviously not patched yet, just to see how it behaves on that version, and the bug is still there. Also, I´ve noticed in version 16.12.4 depending on some variables it may behave differently. For instance if you add one of those 4 channel plan countries, on CLI and keep the radios off, the 4 channel plan replaced the existing 3 channel plan instead of mixing them , but doing the same from the UI (and keeping the radios on), seems like the 3 channel plan is not affected..... Maybe I should do more tests, but since it is an old release, I didn´t bother to check it out ;)


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Captura de paquetes desde el móvil con ANALITI

Configurar Cisco WLC y Aruba Clearpass para Guest con Mac Caching

Captura de paquetes con Switches y WLCs Cisco series 9000